Sunday, September 14, 2014

There Goes the Neighborhood

       Considering this blog entry is about the perspective of the native people living in the Americas, I decided the best way to fully understand how they felt, is to put myself in their shoes, and really imagine what it was like to be one of them at the time. On top of this, using my knowledge from class on some events that happened involving them, as well as taking into account some of the stories we've read, should bring everything together.
       It is a regulareveryday scene amongst my fellow people. Clothes being made out of a variety of furs, little ones running around playing imaginary games that I remember just as well from being that young, and others cooking meals for later in the day. This is only a small representation of what goes on around me. Packs of people lead out early in the day to hunt and gather fruits, nuts, and berries, and return at sundown with their hands full, as well as their brains filled with new knowledge. They bring us news of very large boats, spotted over the horizon heading this way. As the day continues, the news spreads fast amongst the people and they become eager to face whats coming our way. When the sun begins to set over the horizon, our chief comes out to speak to us. He says in the days to come we will welcome whatever arrives on the large boats with kindness, and allow them shelter and food if needed. We all agree, and head back to our living quarters for the night
       The next morning I wake up in awe to a sight before me. Our home set on fire, by the very white men that came on those evil boats. Through talking to some people I came to realize they tried to change our people over to a religion referred to as "Christianity". We kindly turned them down, considering we were happy as we were, and did not quite understand their type of god. They were very stubborn people, and appeared to get quite angry with us for refusing their "offer". Within short time they attacked us, forced us to work for them, and verbally abused us. This all came very unexpectedly considering our kindness in offering them a variety of foods, as well as shelter. They tortured all of us to by converting us to their god against our will. Those of us they did not kill, or force to work, ran away to new land where they tried to rebuild what we lost. Fortunately enough I was one of those people. I remember so clearly, catching a glimpse of what was behind me as I ran, so much loss and cruelty, the only thought that popped in my head was, "There goes the neighborhood."

1 comment:

  1. I really admire all the time and effort you made to make this literally a story from their perspective. Also the tie-in with the title at the last line is fantastic, really good job.

    ReplyDelete