Sunday, October 26, 2014

Hemingway

           If you ask me, Ernest Hemingway will to this day remain one of the most talented writers in the category of American literature, which is shown by his work still being extremely valued to this day. Although his work is incredible, not only in the eyes of the public, but in my eyes as well, there still remains a side to Hemingway that I can not find it in me to look past. I
           Most people often focus on the accomplishments of Ernest Hemingway, but don't realize the true person he is, and some of the great flaws in his personality. Although the flaws in his personality may not take away from his gift to write, they should still be noted, because his work is already well known by many. Hemingway's biggest flaws all seemed to string from his lack of masculinity as a child. This lack of masculinity may have lead to his over compensation of it in his later years, as well as creating many insecurities in him. 
            In his earlier years, Hemingway attempted to play football in high school, but he wasn't very athletic and gave it up quickly. Then, he was put in a situation where his parent wanted him to go to college, but instead he began working. As he continued growing up, and WWI began, he found a great desire to join the army. When the army rejected him due to his eyesight, he continued to pursue his passion to fight for his country, and joined the red-cross instead. In my opinion, the beginning of his life appeared to be a struggle for him to prove his masculinity when it wasn't the quality he was set out to have 
            Hemingway grew older, traveled, wrote, and met a lot of different women along the way. Staying with many of the women for long amounts of time, continuously having affairs, and ending up alone again, no woman seemed to be the right woman for him. Another noticeable quality with him was his desire to alway be better than his significant other, which can be connected back to his childhood, where his mother dominated his father in the marriage.  
            In the end, in my eyes, Hemingway was nothing more than a man that constantly battled his desires to be masculine. In my eyes, masculinity was never cut out for him, but it definitely played a huge role in his life and his writing. Without it, I honestly can't say that I think he would be the same famous figure he stands as today, even in his grave. 

2 comments:

  1. I really like your views on Hemingway as a man altogether and I especially agree with your idea of him just desiring to be masculine. My entire essay was on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you don't hold Heminway to the criticism that everyone else does. You say that his macho style of writing is justified because of his past experiences and I agree with that.

    ReplyDelete